The Lupton Trust was formed by a group of local people to breathe life back into Lupton House - an old empty school, gardens and woods in Brixham. By pooling the communities’ enthusiasm, skills, expertise and knowledge to deliver an environmentally sustainable space for the whole community; enabling local people, groups, charities, arts and environmental projects to grow, develop and learn within a magical setting in the heart of Torbay.
Lupton House is a Grade II* building set in beautiful parkland on the outskirts of Brixham. To the south of the main house there is a formal Italianate garden also listed. A private residence for several generations Lupton House is dedicated to the regeneration of the local community and its historical site, Lupton Trust leads various highly successful volunteer run projects and was awarded the Big Society government award in 2013.
Lupton House Brixham Road, Churston Ferrers TQ5 0LD
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/discoverlupton (2.7k)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/discoverlupton (176)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/discoverlupton (402)
Wikipedia Lupton is an historic manor in the parish of Brixham, Devon. The surviving manor house known as Lupton House, is a Palladian Country house built by Charles II Hayne (1747–1821), Sheriff of Devon in 1772 and Colonel of the North Devon Militia. It received a Grade II* listing in 1949. The park and gardens are Grade II* listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
At some time before 1792 it was sold by Charles II Hayne, who had only lived in his new house for about twenty years, to the judge Sir Francis Buller, 1st Baronet (1746–1800), of nearby Churston Court, which he let to a tenant. Judge Buller had another residence, on bleak Dartmoor, known as Prince Hall, where he was a pioneer of moorland reclamation. In about 1840 the house was remodelled in the neo-classical style by his grandson, Sir John Yarde-Buller, 3rd Baronet (1799–1871; created Baron Churston of Churston Ferrers and Lupton in 1858), to the designs of George Wightwick. In 1862 further alterations, since demolished, were made to the designs of Anthony Salvin, who in 1826 had designed Mamhead House for the first baron's father-in-law, Sir Robert William Newman.
Parks and Gardens Lupton Park contains the remains of 19th-century formal gardens and grounds of around 12 hectares, set within about 108 hectares of park and woodland. The estate is now in divided use, with parts returned to agriculture.
History: The core of the present mansion was formed in about 1770, when an existing house was extended. A programme of planting and landscape improvement soon followed. George Wightwick made alterations to the house in about 1840. At the same time formal gardens, terraces and an aviary were constructed to the south and east of the House, and a new south drive was laid out. Anthony Salvin re-modelled the house in about 1860, but by this time the gardens had essentially achieved their present form.
Lupton Park (Grade II*) A late C18 parkland landscape and mid C19 formal gardens associated with a late C18 mansion remodelled in the mid C19. A mid C20 country house designed by Oswald Milne is set in mid C20 formal gardens within the park.
Gramercy Hall School, Lupton House (grade II*) SX9055 BRIXHAM ROAD, Churston Ferrers 1946-1/6/43 (South side (off)) 18/10/49 Gramercy Hall School, Lupton House (Formerly Listed as: BRIXHAM ROAD Lupton House (School))
Formerly known as: Lupton Hotel (including stable range) BRIXHAM ROAD. Country house (formerly known as Lupton House), now school. c1772, remodelled c1843 by George Wightwick. Restored without the top storey after a fire in 1926.