Newton St Cyres
Newton St Cyres is a village, civil parish former manor and former ecclesiastical parish in Mid Devon, in the English county of Devon, located between Crediton and Exeter. It had a population of 562 at the 2011 Census. The village is part of the Newbrooke electoral ward. The ward population at the above census was 1,520. Almost destroyed by fire in the early 1960s, its main point of interest is the Parish Church, built in the 15th century and dedicated to the martyrs St. Cyriac and his mother St. Julitta. Most of the church is in early Perpendicular style, built of local reddish 'trap', a volcanic stone from quarries at Posbury, with the exception of the nave pillars, which are of Beer stone. It contains the monument with standing effigy of John Northcote (1570-1632) of Hayne, lord of the manor of Newton St Cyres. Newton St Cyres railway station serves the Exeter to Barnstaple line.
Newton St Cyres is home to two public houses: the Crown and Sceptre and the Beer Engine. Traditional cheeses can be bought from the Quickes Farm shop. The village has a recreation ground with two football pitches, a cricket pitch and two tennis courts.
Newton St Cyres Parish Council
Devon County Council Map Viewer
Information on Devon's environment has been mapped on our Environment Viewer. These maps give access to spatial (geographic) data for Devon on a wide range of topics.
GENUKI provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland. It is a non-commercial service, maintained by a charitable trust and a group of volunteers.
The tithe maps and apportionments are an important source of information about the history and topography of a parish. They provide details of land ownership and occupation, and the type of cultivation of the land, and are often the earliest complete maps of parishes.